April Showers Bring May Flowers

April showers bring May flowers, Mayflies fly in May and June Bugs bug in June right? Not necessarily. I live in Western Wyoming and I don't start pruning Wyoming fruit trees until I'm done pruning in North Central Utah. Our May showers bring June Flowers, Mayflies fly in June and I've never seen June Bugs in my orchard.

May Fly

The United States is divided into 9 growing zones from 2 - 10. The three hour drive that I make between Wyoming and Utah takes me from zone 3, over a zone 2 mountain pass and into zone 7. Even within my Utah service area I can jump between zone 5, 6 and 7. So why am I telling you all of this information? Because you can't place fruit tree pruning and maintenance tasks on a calendar. Unless that calendar is specific to a growing zone or region.

USDA Growing Zones

This link will take you to the closest thing we could come up with for a pruning calendar:

Fruit Tree Pruning Calendar

Fruit Tree Pruning Calendar
Click Image to Zoom

Growing zones are just one of many factors that should be considered when caring for your fruit trees. Relative humidity, precipitation, and average high temperatures might affect which trees will thrive in your climate and when routine maintenance task can be done. For example, in the Southwest it is important to water trees in the winter. In parts of the Pacific Northwest pruning should be delayed as long as possible to ensure a window of dry weather.

Wet Blossom on a Nectarine Tree

The best way to maintain a healthy tree is to inspect it regularly and identify environmental triggers that will tell you when certain tasks should be completed. One example of an environmental trigger is the crocus bloom. These little bulbs are often the first to emerge in the spring and their flowers indicate the start of spring. "When crocus bloom it's time to prune." This environmental trigger will tell you that fruit trees are just starting to come out of dormancy even if the tree itself is not giving you any signs of life.

Crocus Bloom

I might have experience growing and caring for fruit trees in zones 3 - 7, but I can't possibly garden in every climate found in the US. With that being said, I am interested in learning more about environmental triggers that you use in your growing area. Please leave a comment below and share environmental triggers that you use in your garden.

Thanks for reading! If you would like to learn more about the care and pruning of fruit trees, please browse our 100+ fruit tree articles here, join our Hobby Fruit Growers Facebook Group, and take our free Fruit Tree Pruning Course. Also, please subscribe to our Fruit Pruning YouTube Channel.

Comments

  1. Well, my crocus bloomed a week ago, then it snowed, so I'm pruning my fruit trees today now that all the snow has melted and the busy Easter weekend is over. I had it on my calendar for a month ago, but life was busy and winter has lasted longer than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very unique winter/spring. Sounds like you are pruning your trees at the perfect time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 08, 2023

    I really don't understand how to prune and know what to cut. Where can I get a good guide

    ReplyDelete
  4. Click on the dropdown menu above and you will see a nine lesson pruning course that is absolutely free!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts