Peach Teriyaki Sauce

Autumn is coming to an end. Fruit tree pruning is not recommended this time of year in most cases (next week we will discuss when and how it may be appropriate). Now that it's time to put up the saw and shears and crank up the furnace or put a log in the fire, you should be able to sit back and enjoy the spoils of your hard work in the garden by turning to the kitchen.

I'm a very frugal guy, especially when it comes to food. I guess since I know where food comes from, how hard it is to produce, and how much time and energy it takes to process that I can't imagine throwing it away.

For regular updates regarding the care and pruning of fruit trees please subscribe here:
SUBSCRIBE!

To avoid being wasteful my wife and I like to create a menu for a week or two in advance. It helps us to make sure we buy what we need at the store in one trip and use up any perishables from the week before. On the menu last week was teriyaki chicken and steamed vegetables. Earlier that week I made crepes drizzled with peach syrup (crepes and peach syrup recipes might be good posts for a future date). There was about a cup of liquid remaining in the bottled peaches that I would normally have drank up myself or dumped down the drain, but something about seeing teriyaki chicken on the menu when I was checking to see what was for breakfast that morning triggered the brilliant and delicious idea of using the liquid from the bottled peaches in the future teriyaki sauce, so without further adieu... here is the recipe for your enjoyment!

Mix the following ingredients together until boiling stirring occasionally.

1/4 Cup soy sauce
1 Cup peach juice from bottled or canned peaches
1/4 Cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic

Mix the following ingredients together separately and add to boiling sauce.

1/4 cup cold water
1 tablespoon corn starch

Let combined mixtures continue boiling for one minute or until translucent and thick. Turn off heat and serve with chicken or pork, rice, and your choice of vegetables. Great with noodles or as a dipping sauce for your favorite dim sum.

Peach Teriyaki Sauce Boiling on the Stove
Peach Teriyaki Sauce and Chicken

Now that gardening tasks are coming to an end the next best use of your time is in the kitchen so whip up some peach teriyaki sauce and enjoy it by the fire with any other spoils from your garden. If you do try this recipe, I would love to hear back from you to see if you liked it as much as my family and I. Please comment below or send me a personal email at russ@simplytreesut.com to let me know how you liked it and how it was served. Until next time...

Comments

Popular Posts